When I started my personal training business it was the classic case of “The Technician” going into business for himself (see Michael Gerber’s, The E-Myth). My skill and ability had been proven time and time again, and clearly I have such a glowing personality that anyone would want to train with me (insert sarcasm). But the first lesson I learned coming out of the starting gate was that it was up to me to put asses in the leg press. Contrary to what I had been told, people don’t just show up because you have a certificate on the wall that says “Personal Trainer” and your own private studio—who knew.
As a business owner you wear nine different hats and carrying out about a hundred different tasks in the beginning—can I get an Amen from my business owner congregation out there. Systems become crucial to the health and longevity of the business. Especially the systems you put in place to secure new clients.
For the past 6 years I’ve been using one very simple process to sell between $180-220K of personal training services each year and I know other studio owners using this process that are bringing in much more than this. Here’s how it works.
- It all starts with a simple webform on my website to request additional information on the program and an offer for a FREE trial workout (I don’t like consultations because I believe in letting people try before they buy. Putting them through a workout also helps qualify them as someone who will be a good fit for you.).
- Using INFUSIONSOFT I developed an automated email sequence spread over the course of eighteen days. The initial email gives all the pertinent details of the program, highlighting how it will benefit them, what makes our approach different, what we stand for, and the type of people we are committed to helping (we have no desire to be everything to everyone, we know who our ideal client is and we are speaking to them only). If you want a copy of the email sequence we send just click here. Feel free to adapt it to your audience/ideal client and see if it doesn’t result in more people eager to test your services.
- The email sequences provide incentives for them to contact us to schedule their trial workout. If several days pass from when they first contacted us we get a notification to call them and set up the appointment.
- If we don’t get them on the phone and they don’t call back they continue to receive email reminders about scheduling their trial workout and they receive some additional incentives.
- Once they are scheduled to come in we focus on delivering as much value as we possibly can.
- When they come in—just like I’m doing here—we give them all the details of what we do and how we do it. We want them to know everything they can possibly comprehend about our approach and how it will work for them.
- We have about an 80% conversion rate when we get people through the trial workout. I’d give you the details of our trial workout but it’s pretty much pointless unless you train how we do. The takeaway is simply this; make it the most informative and productive time they have ever spent in a gym and don’t be afraid that they’re not going to sign up and do what you taught them on their own.
- Follow up! Taking their payment and scheduling the next workout is only the start. We move them to a “Welcome” sequence in INFUSIONSOFT that will run for the next 90 days, providing them with more encouragement, free gifts, tips, etc.
What makes this process so effective is the amount of detail and time put into each correspondence with the prospective client. Everything is completely scripted and automated to ensure the quality of experience for each new lead is the same every time. If you’d like a copy of our INFUSIONSOFT follow up sequence to use for your own fitness business you can get it here.